Saturday, September 4, 2010

Why I might be schizophrenic...

I went for a walk with the kids tonight. It was so much fun. We walked about a mile and a half, and they managed to remain fight-free and whine-free for pretty much the entire way. Even when Sarah accidentally knocked Caid in the head, he didn't tear into her.

But it occurred to me that it is pretty amazing that I am capable of carrying out any coherent thought. The conversation went something like this...

Me: "It's the first star. Make a wish."

Gracie: "I can't tell you my wish because it won't come true."

Sarah: "That's actually Venus."

Caid: "Why are those lights on in there?"

Sarah: "What's the name of that song about being scared?"

Jack: "Maybe it's Christmas."

Caid: "Here's a stick."

Gracie: "Well, I'll tell you my wish because I don't think it's going to come true anyway."

Sarah: "Do you think Rachel is still here?"

Jack: "I think it's Christmas."

Gracie: "Do you want to hear my wish?"

Me: "If you want to tell me your wish, you can."

Caid: "Jack, it's not Christmas."

Sarah: "Do you think Rachel's brother is here?"

Gracie: "I wished that when we get home Dad will have us 50 pounds of cake."

Me: "Well, now it definitely won't come true."

Sarah: "I used to sing the song in preschool. Something going bump in the night."

Me: "That was a prayer, not a song. Against ghoulies and ghosties and long legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night, dear Lord deliver me."

Gracie: "Is Rachel's brother Harry Potter?"

Sarah: "No, that's not it. It's something about not being afraid."

Gracie: "About the bear hunt?"

Jack: "When is it going to be Christmas?"

Me: "December Jack. We have four months to go."

Caid: "When we get home I call computer."

Me: "When y'all get home you need to take showers and baths."

Sarah: "No, not about the bear."

Jack: "I want a pillow pet for Christmas."

Me: "Going on a bear hunt... but I'm not afraid.... I've got my gun..."

Gracie: "There's not gun. It's 'I've got my pack of crackers and my water.'"

Me: "What good is a pack of crackers going to do you on a bear hunt?"

Sarah: "There's not a bear."

Me: "Oh I remember...." And then we all broke out into song.

No wonder they didn't fight. It's like they were all in their own worlds! But what a wonderful time it was. We all came home giggling.

Such a sweet moment when they're all loving each other
We saw bats, so they all decided to be vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment