Sunday, August 29, 2010

RIP P-Nut

When Sarah woke up this morning her beloved gerbil, P-Nut was dead. She called to me and I came to her room to inspect and be sure he was, in fact, dead. When I pronounced he had indeed passed, I watched her face for reaction. (When Caid killed her goldfish because he took it out of the tank to pet it a few years ago, she fell into hysterics, so I was ready.) She looked sad, and I put my arm around her to hug her.

With earnest eyes, she looked up at me (barely up, because my 11-year-old only has three inches until she catches up with me) and said, "You know what really stinks?"

Me, squeezing her shoulder: "Tell me."

Sarah: "I just cleaned his cage yesterday."

Guess it wasn't as traumatic as I feared.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! Out of the mouths of babes! Mine asked me tonight,"Why has Azul (his Beta fish-we heard they were hearty fish) not died?" I said, "well, I am glad he hasn't!" and he said "I just expected it". After all, we have flushed (aka buried) 6 fish in the last year..... hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in an elementary classroom last year and one day when I walked in I heard the teacher say "no no no put the frog down we all remember what happened last time"....

    ReplyDelete