Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Morning

So this morning was pretty typical of mornings in my house. I woke up at 6 AM - just a few minutes before everyone else so that I could enjoy a few moments of peace before I rallied the troops. I woke each child (Sarah, Gracie, and Caid - not Jack, since he's not in school yet) first by gently shaking them. Then it began, pretty much like every other morning.

Have you ever watched Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory? Love that show. Last night I watched it and laughed because it seemed so familiar. This is kind of what it's like while I'm in the bathroom trying to get ready in the morning...


Seriously, I can get ready in 30 minutes - about ten in the shower if I wash my hair and 20 in the bathroom for makeup, hair, and clothes. If I don't wash my hair I can do it faster, but this morning I did wash my hair. It slows the process down considerably when you are interrupted every 45 seconds with a need, during half of which I am naked. The difference between my children and Sheldon is that he keeps knocking until someone opens. My kids knock once and then they open the door regardless of whether I respond.

So here are the numbers for this morning...

Number of times Gracie came in to tell me she was sick and can't go to school: two (if I took her to the doctor every time she says she has a stomachache or headache, I'd be accused of Munchausen by proxy).

Number of times Gracie came in to ask me which shirt to wear: one. (Number of times she actually wore the shirt I picked: zero.)

Number of times Caid came in to use the bathroom: one (we do have another bathroom but he doesn't like it because it has a window).

Number of times Caid requested that I button his pants: two. (Number of times I was soaking wet and naked during this request: one.)

Number of times Gracie asked to use my brush because she couldn't find hers: two.

Number of times Caid came in and sat on the edge of the tub to talk to me about nothing: two.

Number of times I had to leave the bathroom to make sure that Sarah had actually gotten out of bed: four.

Number of times Gracie asked me when I would be ready to go: two.

Number of times Caid asked me when I would be ready to go: two.

Number of times I had to remind Caid to lower his voice because his dad and brother were still sleeping: two.

Number of times Sarah informed me she called shotgun: one.

Number of times Gracie informed me that it's not fair Sarah always gets shotgun: seven.

Number of times I had to reheat my coffee because I got so distracted I forgot to drink it: two.

We made it out the door at 6:55. Not too shabby.

2 comments:

  1. reminds me of that storybook with the mother elephant who is trying to get 5 minutes of peace in the bathtub because her children keep interrupting her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm impressed that you got all that done in 55 minutes - It takes me MUCH longer than that and it's only me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete